Esther's A List • For Such a Time as This
"When Esther’s words were reported to Mordecai, he sent back this answer: “Do not think that because you are in the king’s house you alone of all the Jews will escape. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?” Esther 4:12-14
Take some time to read the book of Esther during this week of Purim. Notice the 20 A words that describe her journey from abandoned orphan to Jewish heroine and model for believers as we stand with and for Israel.
1. Adoption - Mordecai took Esther for his own daughter - Esther 2:7
2. Availability - Esther was willing to be brought to the King’s palace - Esther 2:8
3. Anointing - Esther was given all things for purification - Esther 2:9
4. Adored - The King loved Esther and her winsome beauty - Esther 2:15
5. Appointment - The King selected and favored Esther to be his queen - Esther 2:17
6. Access - Esther’s Feast was held to celebrate her with gifts - Esther 2:18
7. Anonymity - Esther kept her Jewish heritage secret obediently - Esther 2:20
8. Advocate - Esther alerted the King of Mordecai’s name - Esther 2:22
9. Afflicted - Esther was grieved by Haman's death decree of the Jews - Esther 3:4
10. Alert - Esther gathered info to find out what was and why - Esther 3:5
11. Appeased - Esther sent Mordecai clothes to stop the wailing - Esther 4:4
12. Afraid - Esther excused herself from divine risk taking - Esther 4:11
13. Accepts Correction - Esther corrected by Mordecai and encouraged to stand up for her people - Esther 4:14
14. Agreed - Esther agreed to take action and called a 3 day fast to receive God's further instructions - Esther 4:16
15. Arise - Esther courageously invited the King to a banquet - Esther 5:2
16. Advanced - Esther’s feast for Haman and the King exposed evil - Esther 7:3-4
17. Action - Requested reversing decree against the Jews - Esther 8:5
18. Authority - Esther sealed and executed the reversal of the death decree with the King’s ring - Esther 8:8
19. Accomplished - Hanging Haman’s sons canceling generational curses - Esther 9:13
20. Abounded - Feast of Purim time celebrates deliverance and victory from Esther's actions! There was feasting, joy, honor, gladness, gift giving & celebration for two days thanking God and the queen! - Esther 9:21
As a result of Esther's A List, Esther has her own book in the Bible, her name is mentioned more than any other woman in the Bible, and every year, Jews celebrate the Feast of Purim to remember her courage.
What are your observations about Esther?
What adjectives would you use to describe her?
How will you speak up to leaders in the church, government, and society about the importance of supporting Israel?
How is your story already like Esther's?
What qualities of Esther's do you most admire that you would like to adopt?
Our prayer is that the Lord gives you your own unique Esther calling - and directs you in how to support, stand for, pray for, and speak up for Israel.